Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Bell

For as long as I can remember “The Bell” has been in my immediate families possession. When my mother had it, it was hidden away in a closet and packed in a soft cloth.  For the past number of years it has been in my possession displayed in my living room for all to see.
I’m not really sure how it came to be in the possession of my family. I suspect that it may have made the trip from Indonesia with my Grandparents. At some latter date it was passed on to my mother after she had already immigrated to Canada.
The part of the story that has always been cloudy, is how it came into the possession of my Grandfather. My Mother told me that my Grandfather had been on a patrol with the K.N.I.L and he had found it in an old temple. Another story goes that it may have been given to him by a mysterious person that he had come across in the jungles of Indonesia. What ever the story is, it has always been wrapped in mystery.
The handle appears to be the moulded image of a Goddess and the image is the same on both sides of the handle. The whole Bell appears to be cast from Bronze or Brass, Brass being the more probable. I have not been able to find any image or picture of anything closely the same. Also I have not had the item appraised.
As I said The Bell is a mystery and it appears that it will remain so for the foreseeable future.. I would appreciate any insight that anyone may have.  
IMG00041

No comments:

Post a Comment