Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Where do we go from here?

The main purpose of this blog is to create a presence on the net and to increase awareness of those that do not know of the history of the mixed blood Indos. It seems to me that it is very clear that our history is clouded at best,and it is very difficult to decipher or to ascertain what is true and what is correct. Part of the problem that we face in sorting out our own history and identity is the reluctance of governing powers to recognize our legitimate claim that we are an ethnic group.

This in itself is very ironic as we were clearly identified as group by the Imperial Forces of Japan during the the second world war. Then again during the  Bersiap Period, and after when nearly 300000 of us were forced out or left Indonesia for what they hopped  would be a better life in the Netherlands. Now this post is not to argue about the atrocities committed on both sides it is just simply to illustrate that we are already an identifiable group. Right to the point of having what in modern terms would be considered an act of Ethnic Cleansing committed upon our ancestors.

I also write this post with the intent to open a discussion on how we may be able to begin pushing forward with recognition of The Indo as an identifiable ethnic group. My thoughts are ambitious but I think it can be done. I am not calling for a return to colonialism, or for an Indo home land, just simply to be recognized for what we are and the acts of brutality that were committed based on the blood that runs in our veins.

One of the first things that needs to happen is that we need to find our voice. We need to speak and speak only the truth, We need to speak loudly and with conviction to those that would listen. My thought is that we start by creating contacts with those Indos that hold influence in positions of authority. I think it would be wise to add their voices to our own.  We should find and cultivate those connections in what ever position they hold. The connections could be anyone from your neighbours to Congress men or Members of Parliament.  We must have a voice and a clear objective.

Once you have gained the connections you can begin to build a campaign, and generate interest. Once you create interest you can begin to create a platform on which to campaign and press your point of view. 

There are a number of groups now on Facebook and other places on the net that are centered around the preservation of our heritage. So having said that we have to be able to show that we have a common history and that we share the same common values and ideals. To show that common history we need to collect as much information as we can in the form of photos, film and written word. Also if we can collect undeniable proof that atrocity and miscarriage of justice was committed, then we may begin to move forward. If we can begin to show that atrocity was committed based on ethnic lines then we can begin to press for recognition. My argument is this, if one group of people can be killed maimed or tortured and forced to leave a country based on the ethnic divisions, then they can also be recognized as a people along those same lines.

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. I didn't live through the horrible events that took place during the Bersiap period in Indonesia. I was born in Holland during WW2, so underwent the German occupation instead. I was too young to remember any of that but of course my parents - both Indos - suffered through it at cost to themselves.
    We came to the states in the 1950s. America became my country and I have not looked back. I have relatives in Holland, speak a little Dutch and understand it well & visit from time to time. I recognize my past and where I came from but do not think it is necessary or even desirable to agitate for recognition of anything other than being recognized as an American, first, foremost and last.

    I have nothing against history or understanding the history of what happened to a rather little-known group, the Indos. I see little purpose that can be served however in wallowing in that history or in wearing it like a chip on one's shoulder. The story of America is the story of new beginnings and fresh starts. Many ethnic groups came to our shores. They didn't forget where they came from, but they pledged their allegiance to a new country. That's our strength as a people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point, and it is very valid. however what do you do when you watch your mother cry for no reason and tell you that their is nothing wrong. I believe that many indos suffered trauma and that what they experienced has carried over into there children. I will tell a story. I will keep it short. When I was a child I was beaten to bloody mess by school aged children. I was only eight years old. The reason for the beating was because I didn't have proper long underwear. My mother had given me leotards to wear to school in the winter under my cloths. So anyway after the beating my mother came to pick me up from school and on the way home he she told me I couldn't tell any one about what happened. I didn't understand and she told me that she didn't want my father and my sisters to be afraid. She acted as a person who had suffered trauma and expected me to do the same. I kept that secret until after she died. Why did I do that?
    My mother was a child when she witnessed atrocity and it affected her life to the extent that she would tell one of her own children to sustain a beating to keep the rest of her family safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for telling me that story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally find it very comforting to know more about my own heritage. The Bersiap period was very difficult for my parents and I think it had an adverse effect on our family in the long run. But learning more about their lives in Indonesia and the struggles they faced when our family moved to Holland in 1952 and then again to the US in 1962, helps explain so much.

    Plus I, for one, would love to see more recognition of the Indo as a distinct ethnic group if for no other reason than to not have to constantly give a condensed historical explanation when people ask me "so is your mom Indonesian and your dad Dutch?" As if it was that simple!

    I appreciate what you're doing here: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think you should change the font color for your text. The gray is very difficult to read on the blue background.

    Sorry, it's the ex-graphic designer in me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post.Thanx for sharing Jack. There was all recognition there. A lot of people don't know that a lot of personal problems are caused by what happend in de family which left scars on there childeren when they grow up. And the children don't even know it untill they discover the real story they never heard of and then start to see themselves. How can we develop ourselves if we don't know the story of our parents and ancestors? I think it IS that simple, but the trauma's and complicated situations makes this difficult and for me the clock is tikking. The majority of indo's that don't find this important yet wil start to ask questions untill parents are close to pass away and when new generations are born. In my opinion our time is brief.

    ReplyDelete